Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m active duty Marine resident of OR but stationed in another state. How do I get my state taxes back. It’s only giving a small portion back now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I’m active duty Marine resident of OR but stationed in another state. How do I get my state taxes back. It’s only giving a small portion back now.

Residents not stationed in Oregon that didn’t have a permanent residence in Oregon during any part of the tax year, maintained a permanent residence outside of Oregon for the entire tax year, and spent less than 31 days in Oregon during the tax year are considered nonresidents for Oregon tax purposes and only owe Oregon tax if receive income from other Oregon sources.

If you fit these parameters, you may exclude your military pay. When you begin preparing your Oregon return, there will be a screen that appears like the screenshot I have included below. Once you put in the military pay  into the screen, this should exclude your Oregon income.  If you paid withholding tax to Oregon, that entire amount should be refunded back to you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies