turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I HAVE A MILITARY 1099-R THAT I NEED TO ENTER. I HAVE TRIED ALL THE CHOICES BUT THEY ARE NOT CORRECT. WHICH CHOICE DO I USE TO ENTER IT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I HAVE A MILITARY 1099-R THAT I NEED TO ENTER. I HAVE TRIED ALL THE CHOICES BUT THEY ARE NOT CORRECT. WHICH CHOICE DO I USE TO ENTER IT?

If it is a CSA-1099-R from OPM then choose that type.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 5.12.52 PM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

But #1  if it was from DFAS...then it's a regular 1099-R.

BUT #2:  Some 1099-R forms from DFAS had a FEIN issued without the proper number (too short).  The proper FEIN has a "2" at the end....it should have been:

34-0727612

Also, if you turned age 59.5 at any time during 2020 there was an occasional issue with making entries in the software...they might have fixed it by now...they might not have.    IF you did turn 59.5 in 2020 and are having issues with some penalty...post back, and we can instruct you about a fairly simple workaround...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Carl
Level 15

Also, for military retirement it's a non-qualified plan. That matters.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies