Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a military spouse living and working in a state that is not my residency. I didnt file for the military spouse tax relief last year, also do i change my w2 at work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I am a military spouse living and working in a state that is not my residency. I didnt file for the military spouse tax relief last year, also do i change my w2 at work?

Yes you can use the MSRRA relief this year and Yes you should tell your employer and get the state withholding corrected as needed.  

How do I change my witholding on my w2, esp if they arent used to having to deal with the msra. Also, when i file for taxes next year , do you think i can get my taxes back that were paid last year?

Is it also only for state taxes and not federal?

Think about it ... the feds tax everything you earn worldwide and beyond so there is nothing to adjust on the feds.  

How do I change my witholding on my w2, esp if they arent used to having to deal with the msra.   First the W-2 is the form sent to you in January and has nothing to do with the W-4 you file with the employer.  Next talk to the employer, explain which state you are to pay taxes to as a resident and see if they will withhold for that state. AND get them to stop withholding for the current state where you live ... if there is a form for that they should know which one it is. 

Also, when i file for taxes next year , do you think i can get my taxes back that were paid last year?   Next... you will file the state returns required and if you overpaid you get a refund.   You can even go back and amend the 2018 state returns to take advantage of the MSRRA. 

TomD8
Level 15

Be aware that the new law regarding MSRRA gives you the option of claiming your active duty servicemember spouse's SLR (State of Legal Residence) as your state of residence, even if you never lived there.  The law went into effect on December 31, 2018, and is applicable to tax years 2018 and thereafter.

https://www.moaa.org/content/publications-and-media/news-articles/2019-news-articles/advocacy/FAQ--N....

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

For MSRRA to be of any value, it matters what your SLR is, and what state you are working in, as well as the military spouse's HOR. You don't tell us any of that. For example, if FL is your SLR and you work in GA, then MSRRA is of no value to you since FL doesn't tax personal income. You'll pay full state taxes to GA, like it or not.

Without knowing what states are involved here, there's no way for anyone to know (so they can tell you) how to apply MSRRA to your specific situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies