Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOR if own a house in another state

I am active military with HOR being Missouri. I bought a house in Mississippi. Do I need to change my Home of Record to Mississippi?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Nope...owning a home in the state you are posted in (but is not your HOR state)  does not require changing your HOR nor your State-of-Legal-Residence (SLR).   

You may still have to file a MO tax return, especially if your spouse has income and also claims MO as his/her SLR.

Military Reference Guide - Missouri Department of Revenue Missouri Department of Revenue (.gov) http...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you aren't required to change your home of record (HOR) to Mississippi, just because you bought a house there. 

You can choose to make Mississippi your HOR by filing form DD-2058 if you intend to make Mississippi your permanent home and to abandon Missouri as your HOR. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Nope...owning a home in the state you are posted in (but is not your HOR state)  does not require changing your HOR nor your State-of-Legal-Residence (SLR).   

You may still have to file a MO tax return, especially if your spouse has income and also claims MO as his/her SLR.

Military Reference Guide - Missouri Department of Revenue Missouri Department of Revenue (.gov) http...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, you aren't required to change your home of record (HOR) to Mississippi, just because you bought a house there. 

You can choose to make Mississippi your HOR by filing form DD-2058 if you intend to make Mississippi your permanent home and to abandon Missouri as your HOR. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies