Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

agodwin7

Foreign Earned Income

Good Day,

the only W2s I have for 2021 are from the Military (DFAS) and I have already indicated that I was not in a combat zone during the interview. However when it comes to filing my Federal Taxes it keeps bringing me to review Form 2555-T (foreign earned income). I have already gone through the help steps of "search 'foreign income' and selected "no" and it still has not removed it from needing to be removed. 

I have also deleted and manually entered by W2's a well and it still has not changed anything.

Please assist. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Foreign Earned Income

Delete the Form 2555

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Foreign Earned Income

Delete the Form 2555

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

tbrown2462
Returning Member

Foreign Earned Income

I am having the same problem because my husband has deployed overseas.  It keeps flagging the 2555 form and even AFTER I delete it, it still pops back up that I need to do it.

Turbotax really needs to fix this problem, because I feel they are just trying to make us upgrade and pay more to ask for help.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Foreign Earned Income

To clarify, is your husband in the military?

@tbrown2462

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Foreign Earned Income

In the My Info section of TurboTax, be sure to enter your husband's military SLR (State of Legal Residence) as his State of Residence.  Do not enter the location where he happens to be stationed.

Note that the State of Residence need not be the same as the mailing address.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
tbrown2462
Returning Member

Foreign Earned Income

It has been marked as his state of residence.   We are stationed overseas and because of non taxed combat pay entered from his w2, it automatically thinks we need a foreign earned income form....but military don't qualify for it.  I deleted the form, but it didn't go away.  It just listed that I claim $0 of foreign earned income,  which I guess is fine.

tbrown2462
Returning Member

Foreign Earned Income

We are stationed overseas in the middle east, but listed TN as our state of record since that's what we claim, and because of non taxed combat pay entered from his w2, it automatically thinks we need a foreign earned income form....but military don't qualify for it.  I deleted the form, but it didn't go away.  It just listed that I claim $0 of foreign earned income,  which I guess is fine.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Foreign Earned Income

Yes and if you are able to electronically file your return with no errors, then the reporting is correct. 

@tbrown2462

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies