Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MikeO4

Filing in NC with Military Pension

I have used TurboTax for years, but just as I get ready to eFile this year I am getting the following notice:

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 7.30.43 AM.png

The way it is phrased appears to be a program flaw as it doesn't make sense.  The number annotated is my correct military pension amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filing in NC with Military Pension

@MikeO4 

Suggestion:

Go back to the 1099-R entry in the Federal section.

Edit your DFAS 1099-R

On a page AFTER the main form, with all it's boxes....there is a page where you can make a selection to ID the source of the Military pension  (Picture down below)  .

IF...if the pension is eligible for Bailey Settlement exemption...you can choose that, but if you do taht , then during the NC Q&A you do NOT also indicate the same amount as a Military Pension benefit.....it's one or the other, not both.

Now, if that total ~$109k is due to both you and your spouse being former military, then the warning may be due to some $1 rounding issue.  In that case, for the NC distribution amount for one of the 1009-R forms, round that $$ amount down to an even $$ amount.  That should fix that situation.

1099R_NorCar_2021_xDesktop.png

For those with Desktop software, you can see what is being claimed as being exempt in one of the NC forms in Forms Mode.  In that NC Retirement Benefits Worksheet.  Make sure youa re NOT claiming the same $$ exemption in both section 4 and section 5.  One or the other, not both.

1099R_NorCar_Bailey_Wksht.jpg

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies