turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rars-ruiz

Because I'm still in training and my wife is in PuertoRico what I have to select for her state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Because I'm still in training and my wife is in PuertoRico what I have to select for her state?

Both of you keep Puerto Rico as your "State of Residence".

As active duty military, you are considered to "Live" in your state of residence (Home of Record), no matter where you are stationed. Your active-duty pay is also considered to be earned in your state of residence.

State Military Filing Rules

Military Spouses and State Taxes

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ToddL

What are you training for and where?
rars-ruiz

AirForce , Delaware
ToddL

Did you enlist in the Air Force from PR?
rars-ruiz

Yes
rars-ruiz

Turbotax doesn't give the option for Puerto Rico
ToddL

Go to the bottom of the drop-down menu for State of Residence. You will see "Foreign or U.S. Possession".  That is what you should select for Puerto Rico.
ToddL

Both of you keep Puerto Rico as your "State of Residence".

As active duty military, you are considered to "Live" in your state of residence (Home of Record), no matter where you are stationed. Your active-duty pay is also considered to be earned in your state of residence.

State Military Filing Rules

Military Spouses and State Taxes

rars-ruiz

Thank you so much for your help exactly what I needed.
ToddL

My pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies