Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are Michigan National Guard members expect from State tax at their civilian job? I was under the impression they were.

State tax is withheld from my Drill pay, why wouldn't I be getting the state taxes back from my civilian job?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Are Michigan National Guard members expect from State tax at their civilian job? I was under the impression they were.

I am assuming your HOR is not MI. This means only income earned in MI outside of the military is taxable to MI. Your civilian job would require you to pay tax.

MI law for Military Personnel:

• Residents entering military service remain Michigan residents for income tax purposes, regardless of duty station, until a change of legal residence has been made.
  • Nonresidents stationed in Michigan must file if they have earned income from Michigan sources other than military pay.
  • Military spouses. The spouse of a servicemember may elect the same legal residence state as the servicemember.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My HOR is in Michigan does that change anything?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

No, your civilian job would still be taxable income in MI. 

Also, only the following National Guard pay is considered military pay and therefore exempt from Michigan tax:

• Weeknight and regular weekend drills
  • Summer camp
  • Pay received for riot duty, only if nationalized by the president of the U.S.
  • Public Health Officers pay, only for those assigned to the Coast Guard or who are nonresidents of Michigan
  • Retirement/Pension benefits 

(MI Department of Treasury)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies