Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Active duty military

I am active duty Military with HOR Missouri and stationed the entire year in Mississippi.

My wife is active duty military with HOR Texas stationed in North Dakota.

TT sends me to forms section to get my state taxes refunded.

I close form and it returns to TT step by step screen.

TT will not allow to move past the screen to go to error check.

If TT would tell me what the problem is, I would fix it.

There is no error message and the form view shows no problem.

It just sits there with no error message.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Active duty military

MO says you must use the same filing status as used on your federal return.  You have two choices:  1. File separately federal and MO or 2. File jointly as residents of MO.  

To file joint returns you and you spouse need to have the same MO filing statuses.  Use the steps below to file jointly Federal and MO.  If you indicate you lived in different states that will cause a different filing status on your MO return.  If you indicate you had zero MO income as military with MO home of record while stationed outside of MO that will cause a different filing status.  

The best way to handle the MO joint return is to have you both be MO residents and since you both have active military pay all of it will be excluded from MO taxable income and the withholding will be refunded. 

There is no TX filing.  Also, if you only have military pay then you have no MS filing requirement.  If your spouse has only military pay they have no ND filing requirement.  

Going forward I suggest you both adopt TX as your resident states and not have any state tax withholding nor file any state income tax returns.  As the spouse of a military member whose home of record is TX you can simply claim TX as your home state as well.  Get with your military finance to change your state of residence going forward to stop MO withholding.   

1. To begin you may need to delete the MO state return and start over. Here is a link to assist with that.
  2. In the federal "My Info" section edit your information and your spouse's information to indicate MO as your resident states all year.
  3. Next start a MO return
  4. Answer yes your home of record was MO
  5. Answer yes you received non-military income or stayed in MO 30 days or more
  6. Continue
  7. Answer yes your spouse's home of record is MO
  8. Answer yes your spouse received non-military income or stayed in MO 30 days or more
  9. Continue
  10. Answer the prior year questions
  11. Continue as applicable to the page asking about the MO county
  12. Scroll to and select "NONRESIDENT"
  13. Continue
  14. In the "Adjustments" section you will arrive at a page to enter/verify your military pay that is to be excluded
  15. Continue through the adjustments as applicable; you'll arrive at a page for military adjustment.  You can re-enter the military pay if you wish but it should already be excluded from earlier entries
  16. Continue as needed and you can select MO Bottom line section to verify everything was excluded.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Active duty military

MO says you must use the same filing status as used on your federal return.  You have two choices:  1. File separately federal and MO or 2. File jointly as residents of MO.  

To file joint returns you and you spouse need to have the same MO filing statuses.  Use the steps below to file jointly Federal and MO.  If you indicate you lived in different states that will cause a different filing status on your MO return.  If you indicate you had zero MO income as military with MO home of record while stationed outside of MO that will cause a different filing status.  

The best way to handle the MO joint return is to have you both be MO residents and since you both have active military pay all of it will be excluded from MO taxable income and the withholding will be refunded. 

There is no TX filing.  Also, if you only have military pay then you have no MS filing requirement.  If your spouse has only military pay they have no ND filing requirement.  

Going forward I suggest you both adopt TX as your resident states and not have any state tax withholding nor file any state income tax returns.  As the spouse of a military member whose home of record is TX you can simply claim TX as your home state as well.  Get with your military finance to change your state of residence going forward to stop MO withholding.   

1. To begin you may need to delete the MO state return and start over. Here is a link to assist with that.
  2. In the federal "My Info" section edit your information and your spouse's information to indicate MO as your resident states all year.
  3. Next start a MO return
  4. Answer yes your home of record was MO
  5. Answer yes you received non-military income or stayed in MO 30 days or more
  6. Continue
  7. Answer yes your spouse's home of record is MO
  8. Answer yes your spouse received non-military income or stayed in MO 30 days or more
  9. Continue
  10. Answer the prior year questions
  11. Continue as applicable to the page asking about the MO county
  12. Scroll to and select "NONRESIDENT"
  13. Continue
  14. In the "Adjustments" section you will arrive at a page to enter/verify your military pay that is to be excluded
  15. Continue through the adjustments as applicable; you'll arrive at a page for military adjustment.  You can re-enter the military pay if you wish but it should already be excluded from earlier entries
  16. Continue as needed and you can select MO Bottom line section to verify everything was excluded.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Active duty military

Hi

That worked

Hopefully Missouri won't discover I had to manipulate the real situation.

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies