turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

StarMan007
Returning Member

Applying for a loan

I have a $6,000 dept from a stupid Hospital Bill, I tried applying for a loan from Sofi, Avant among a few. I have a 740 Credit rating, I have a few credit cards all 100% paid on time, I have a car loan $20,000 paid on time....Strange I got approved for that yet I cant get approval for a $6,000 loan....I had a Bankruptcy in 2010 but other than that I have worked hard to maintain a good credit score and to pay my bills on time. The Hospital Bill loan that I got had a 24%APR so now Im looking to find a loan that will offer a lower APR, but I cant get any approval.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Applying for a loan

can you simply focus all your energy and might to pay down the hospital bill asap.  

what is the rate on the credit card? if that rate is less than 24% then one strategy is to pay the minimums on the credit card and then put the extra cash towards the hospital loan. 

How much cash can you pull down on that credit card and do the same thing as above (assuming the cash interest rate is less than 24%)

can you go to the hospital and offer to pay in full (based on what you can borrow off the credit card) AT A DISCOUNT?

can you refinance the car so that it stretches the payments to 6 or 7 years.  and the difference in the lower payments to put towards the hospital loan? 

StarMan007
Returning Member

Applying for a loan

Well, It's not actually the hospital bill, I was able to get a loan in the begining. The hospital bill was broken into so many different bills that I had (brainlessly) obtained a loan from BestEgg at 17.98%  to try and make it just one payment. However, I found out too late that my hospital bill (s) could have been negotiated down.....That was my biggest mistake and hope others who read this learn from it.....Always search for a Medical billing advocate if you feel your bill is higher than it should be. They will actually go through your bills to see if you are being billed correctly. My monthly payment on this bill is $235 a month.

My employment has been lacking work big time. I am unable to refinance the car considering it's a new loan from June of last year. So Im in a sticky situation right now...Kinda like on a ship at sea that is full of holes and taking on water faster than I can patch up those holes...I am sinking....A simple surgery, and a doctor who said it would probably cost around $10,000 actually ended up being over $100k Simple sinus surgery to be to the point. But I recently tried to apply for a loan with a lower interest rate but all denied even though, as I had mentioned, good credit...I actually went up 5 points a few days ago.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies