turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I enter partial or total expenses for my rental expenses of my primary residence?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnR1

Do I enter partial or total expenses for my rental expenses of my primary residence?

You would enter the expenses while your residence was your home separately from the period when it was available for rent, so partial expenses would be entered for the rental period.

You would divide yearly expenses, such as taxes and insurance, between rental use and personal use.

You can deduct as rental expenses only the part of the expense that is for the part of the year the property was used or held for rental purposes, on Schedule E.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnR1

You would enter the expenses while your residence was your home separately from the period when it was available for rent, so partial expenses would be entered for the rental period.

You would divide yearly expenses, such as taxes and insurance, between rental use and personal use.

You can deduct as rental expenses only the part of the expense that is for the part of the year the property was used or held for rental purposes, on Schedule E.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies