turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chsriman

International travel expenses as deduction against rent from international property

I report income from my Indian rental properties in my US tax return. Last year, I traveled to India to take care of work related to those rental properties apart from other things. Can I deduct my travel expenses or part of them in my 2017 return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

International travel expenses as deduction against rent from international property

Yes, you may be able to deduct travel expenses related to the management of your rental property. However, be sure to allocate your expenses if any portion of the trip was for personal reasons (visiting family, vacation, etc.). And keep good records. The IRS expects to see extensive record-keeping for rental expenses, and especially travel relating to rental properties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may be able to deduct travel expenses related to the management of your rental property. However, be sure to allocate your expenses if any portion of the trip was for personal reasons (visiting family, vacation, etc.). And keep good records. The IRS expects to see extensive record-keeping for rental expenses, and especially travel relating to rental properties.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies