turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When converting a second residence into a rental property mid-year, how do you treat improvements completed prior to placing it in service?

I converted a personal property into a rental property placed in service Nov 1st. We did a bunch of improvements (including bathroom & kitchen remodel) in the beginning of the year prior to placing it in service. Do those improvements all get added to the cost basis of the house or can I take some expenses in full as safe harbor repairs and improvements? If what I paid for the house plus improvements is less that current fmv, do I use original cost plus improvements or current fmv as my cost basis for depreciation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

When converting a second residence into a rental property mid-year, how do you treat improvements completed prior to placing it in service?

Yes, they are added to the basis of the home. Once you place the property in service, you can potentially deduct expenses and improvements. You use the lower of the FMV or adjusted basis for converted property depreciation. Improvements are included in your adjusted basis.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, they are added to the basis of the home. Once you place the property in service, you can potentially deduct expenses and improvements. You use the lower of the FMV or adjusted basis for converted property depreciation. Improvements are included in your adjusted basis.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies