Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will I have to pay DC taxes?

I am a resident of Florida where I live more than 7 months out of the year.  I don't own property.  When I am there I stay with my elderly parents.  The rest of the year I am in Washington, DC.  I want to buy a small apartment there for when I am there for 4-5 months.  I know I won't be able to take the Homestead Exemption on the property taxes since it won't be my primary residence, but will I have to pay taxes to DC?  I don't plan to rent the apartment so there won't be income.  But I am concerned having a property there will make me a "resident" and I'll have to pay income tax for my job in FL.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

DC Resident is an individual that maintains a place of abode within DC for 183 days or more. If the individual is domiciled in the state at any time, you are considered to be a DC resident. 

So, I wouldn’t because I am in DC less than 183 days? Or does it mean I would have to pay taxes because owning means “maintaining”? Thanks!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You would be a DC statutory resident If you bought an apartment in D.C. regardless of how many days you spent there.

As tax guru @SweetieJean said, a DC Resident is an individual that maintains a place of abode within DC for 183 days or more.

Becoming a statutory resident means you would have to pay D.C. income tax.

What is the meaning of statutory residency?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies