Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is the question about paying rent??

This is my first time filing by myself. I filed with a w-2 and there was a question about paying rent at the address that is on my w-2. The address was wrong so I said no. But I found out later that I could have edited my w-2, so I did that and now I can’t go back! What do I do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

There is not a rent deduction or credit on your Federal return.  If your state has anything for renters you will be prompted to enter your rent info when you complete your state return.  As far as I know, the states that have anything for rent are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington DC, and Wisconsin.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Was this asked on the state return?

If yes, can you delete the state return and start over. 

To Delete:

For TurboTax Desktop, switch to Forms (Upper right corner) 

TurboTax Online:

Select Tax Tools on the left side-bar

Select Tools from that drop-down

Select “Delete a form” on the TOOLS CENTER screen

Delete the state return and start it over 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, yes I am in California and I am asking the question because it was a prompt in my wages and income. I’ve clicked on everything I could to edit to reflect that I pay, not only half, but full rent. I just can’t find it again…

Thank you! I had reached the end of the return (without paying for anything) before I realized I should or could change the address but I will try this..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies