turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nasha3

Where do I go in turbo tax to put rental payments? I paid rent for the entire year of 2015 for the home i rented.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Doc5108

Where do I go in turbo tax to put rental payments? I paid rent for the entire year of 2015 for the home i rented.

Think I understand your question.

Is Your Personal Rent deductible on Federal Tax Return?
Unfortunately No, the rent you pay to live in an apartment, house or other place of personal residence is Not deductible on your Federal Tax Return.  Your Rent May be a deduction on your State Tax Return, each State is different.  If Your Rent is deductible in your State, the question should pop up during your state return interview.

If there is a renters deduction, credit, rebate, or certificate it will be entered during your State interview.  NOT all states have the renters deduction, credit, rebate or certificate it is totally State Dependent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Doc5108

Think I understand your question.

Is Your Personal Rent deductible on Federal Tax Return?
Unfortunately No, the rent you pay to live in an apartment, house or other place of personal residence is Not deductible on your Federal Tax Return.  Your Rent May be a deduction on your State Tax Return, each State is different.  If Your Rent is deductible in your State, the question should pop up during your state return interview.

If there is a renters deduction, credit, rebate, or certificate it will be entered during your State interview.  NOT all states have the renters deduction, credit, rebate or certificate it is totally State Dependent.

What about home office deduction for back rent--that is, for rent on the home (including the home office), that was still owed and paid after use ended of that home (and that home office)?

Where do I put that in?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies