turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sport1

Where do I find how much depreciation I took on my rental property the previous year?

I need to find on my taxes from last year the amount I entered as depreciation for my rental property.  Does anyone know what worksheet and line this is on?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Where do I find how much depreciation I took on my rental property the previous year?

Look at your 2019 tax return. There are two IRS FOrm 4562's in their for each property. One is titled "Amortization and Depreciation Report" and the other is "Alternative Minimum Tax Depreciation". They both print in landscape format. The first one will show you both the total amount of all depreciation taken for the entire time the property was a rental, and will also show your the amount of depreciation taken for the current year. Since this is your 2019 tax return I'm referring to, the "current depreciation" column will be showing your 2019 depreciation only.

If the 2020 program is asking you for the total amount of depreciation taken in prior years, then on your 2019 form 4562 you have to add together the amounts in the "prior years depreication" column, and the "current year depreciation" column, and enter that total in the 2020 program for the total amount of depreciation already taken in prior years.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can also find it on your depreciation worksheet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies