Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eric38

Where do I enter sale of a rental property which was stepped up when my husband died but I need to recapture the amount depreciated during the period it was rented?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Where do I enter sale of a rental property which was stepped up when my husband died but I need to recapture the amount depreciated during the period it was rented?

There are two possible entry points for rental, depending if it was rented in 2018. Your basis will be 50% cost plus improvements plus 50% of FMV on the date of death. If you enter through the rental section, you will encounter 2 places to indicate the sale. See the screenshots below. You will also have a screen for depreciation. It will automatically be recaptured upon entering the sale information.

If you did not rent in 2018, see below.

Enter it in the income section.

• Less Common Business Situations
  • Sale of Business Property

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

There are two possible entry points for rental, depending if it was rented in 2018. Your basis will be 50% cost plus improvements plus 50% of FMV on the date of death. If you enter through the rental section, you will encounter 2 places to indicate the sale. See the screenshots below. You will also have a screen for depreciation. It will automatically be recaptured upon entering the sale information.

If you did not rent in 2018, see below.

Enter it in the income section.

• Less Common Business Situations
  • Sale of Business Property

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies