turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl
Level 15

What Value do I use for land and property when I started to depreciate a rental property? Value at purchase or value by County assessor in year when I started renting it?

See, I don't know "for a fact" how the 3115 stuff works when you get down to the nitty gritty of it. But it "appears" to me to be a request, that has to first be approved by the IRS before you can do it. I don't know this for a fact though, as I've never had to use the 3115 myself.
DS30

What Value do I use for land and property when I started to depreciate a rental property? Value at purchase or value by County assessor in year when I started renting it?

The IRS automatically approves certain changes you request on Form 3115, but other changes require advance consent. Changing from a non permissible to a permissible depreciation method does not need advanced consent.
Carl
Level 15

So we're depending on you to tell us if the change being requested, which I assume would basically be to take significantly less (if any) deprecation for 2015, is permissible. I've learned through experience not to make those kind of assumptions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies