Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What Tax Forms are required to report step up basis of passive rental house inherited due to death of spouse? Turbotax is filling forms that I am not familiar with.

Forms that make sense to me are 1040 and scedule E. we used basic depreciation, nothing fancy. Basis divided by 27.5 years.

Thank You

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anita01

What Tax Forms are required to report step up basis of passive rental house inherited due to death of spouse? Turbotax is filling forms that I am not familiar with.

When you go through the rental property interview you can edit assets to add a new one called "basis step up"and enter the additional basis amount there.  It will then depreciate along with your other assets.  I can't tell what you may already have done and what new forms you are talking about.  If you go to Forms on the upper right and then click on whatever Forms you're talking about, you should be able to delete them there.

Hi TTANITA, when entering new asset amount, should it be Total NEW BASIS AMT or NBA minus original basis?
Anita01

It should be just the increase amount, so the latter.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies