Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wash Sale Deferred due to not closing the trade and a stock buy in Jan 2024

TD Ameritrade released the 1099B  yesterday.  When do they release the detailed summary and finalize the 8949?

I had 4 stocks with wash sales that were noted under wash sale loss disallowed.  One of those 4 was deferred.

How can I tell if TD Ameritrade made the adjustment for the deferral stock and how do I enter it?  I want to make sure I don't take the the loss?  Maybe I'm thinking into to it to much but don't understand the difference between a wash sale and deferral wash sale and where reported in turbo tax. 

Way too many people have this problem.  Hopefully someone from Turbo tax will explain. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

when you get your January statement look at the cost shown for the deferral stock. it should be what you paid plus the wash sale deferred.   

"difference between a wash sale and deferral wash sale "

there is no such thing as a deferral wash sale.

If you have a wash some or all of the loss is denied.

the triggering shares you bought within the window that caused you to have a wash sale have their basis adjusted.

eventually , in most cases you will get that loss on your Schedule D later.

@Mr Washsale 

TD Ameritrade says:

"Most 1099s will post by 2/15/2024 "

The broker must wait to see if any activity in January triggers a wash on a sale placed in December.

@Mr Washsale 

So what's the difference when you carry over by buying in Jan vs closing your wsale then?

Please explain what would be different on the 1099B. 

I thinking they add to the basis for the wash sales that closed before year end and did not trigger in jan., and add the figure as a wash sale dissallowance. The ones that were held over the basis and proceeds were spot on with gains keeper. 

Td ameritrade did release some 1099 already.  One one of them had a wash sale and it looks like they removed or did not add to basis ... by lowering the proceeds and cost basis figures on 1099b.  They don't match the gains keeper any longer. I'm assuming they do this so thent report it as a carry over? 

So they can calculate a short term capital gain.

Where are these removed proceeds cost basis figures entered? 

Or my 1099 is wrong. 

Now I'm waiting on the detailed  summary. 

Thanks for the help.

But all the wash sales including the one where the stocks sold at year end were totaled in wash sale dissallowance.    So your saying  the one stock out of those that wast purchased in jan will be reported where? How?  By just not adding back in the wash sale loss to the basis but also eported in wash sale dissallowance with the others wash sales (closed out before year end). 

So how does td ameritrade/ trader know how to get this loss back?  Where is this loss reported ( how can one easily see it in td ameritrade system? 

Or Only as a short term loss and then a carry over from year to year?

Thanks for the help. 

These are questions you should ask your broker to answer and/or explain how they report the transactions.    

TD will show you your trade price, which can be used to calculate your original  cost.

TD will show you your open gain or loss, from this and current value you can calculate the basis being used.

I don't know if the basis used is the original basis or the adjusted basis, it's been a while since I had any wash sales.

I assume it would be the adjusted basis.

@Mr Washsale 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies