Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax won't let me proceed because it thinks my rental property is a royalty property

how do i fix rental versus royalty property?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

Turbotax won't let me proceed because it thinks my rental property is a royalty property

If you received a 1099-MISC that reported rents that you received in box 1, you should check how you entered the form. If you entered an amount in Box 2, that would be for a royalty.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Another thing also. If you received a 1099-MISC reporting rental income in box 1 *and* royalty income in box 2, you will need to enter the information "AS IF" you received two 1099-MISC forms... one reporting income in box 1 for the rental, and a 2nd 1099-MISC reporting income in box 2 for the royalty payment.

ianrosaaen
Returning Member

I completed the 1099-MISC for royalty income. I entered royalty income in box 2. I also identified the rental property to which the royalty is associated (required by the form). The royalty income correctly appeared in the Sched. E worksheet for a single-family rental property. TT thinks the rental is a royalty. Do you see anything I should do differently? Thank you.

ianrosaaen
Returning Member

Also, when I revisit "Wages and Income / Property Profile" for the rental property, I see an option to identify the asset as a royalty or a rental property. I select rental property, but nothing changes. The rental is still a royalty.

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

If this is rental rather than royalty income, you need to delete your Form 1099-MISC information and re-input it elsewhere. 

To delete information from Form 1099-MISC in TurboTax Online:

1. If you don’t see 2022 TAXES in the left pane, select the dropdown to the right of Income & Expenses on the Hi, let’s keep working on your taxes! page and then select Let’s get startedPick up where you left off, or Review/Edit. 
    • Otherwise, in the left pane, select Wages & Income
  2. Scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Other Common Income
  3. Select  Revisit to the right of Form 1099-MISC
  4. On the  1099-MISC Summary page, select Delete to the right of your Form 1099-MISC item
  5. Select  Yes on the Delete Confirmation screen, then select Done when the 1099-MISC Summary screen reappears

Then, on the Your income and expenses screen:

1. Scroll down and select the Show more dropdown to the right of Rentals, Royalties, and Farm
  2. Select  Start to the right of Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)
  3. Answer  Yes on the Did you have any income from rentals or royalties? page 

Continue through the ensuing pages, providing all information as appropriate. 

Don't worry about Form 1099-MISC not being present. The IRS is looking for the amount, not the form.

@ianrosaaen 

ianrosaaen
Returning Member

John,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I downloaded the program. I'm not using the online version.

I deleted all 1099-MISC forms associated with royalty income.

I went to Federal Taxes, Wages & Income, Rental Properties and Royalties and followed the Update procedure

I went to Property Profile for the rental home. "Royalty property or payment" is selected. I changed it to Rental Property and continued through the forms.

I reach a screen that states, "What type of Royalty Income? It seems I can't change the asset from a royalty to a rental property.

I'm stumped.

ianrosaaen
Returning Member

HOLD IT.

I closed/opened the program a few times and it worked. All is well.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies