Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax created a Schedule C for rental property?

I received a 1099-Misc from my property manager and it included an amount in Box 3 for Other Income, this amount was all pet related (initial and then monthly pet fee). The $850 is shown next to income from 1099-Misc and other Common income: Income from 1099-Misc and Business Items: Business Income and Expenses (Sch C). Should it be showing in 2 spots?

I went through the Business Items section and it didn't really seem applicable when everything was covered in schedule E, should I just delete the Schedule C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I would delete the Schedule C and include the amount in Box 3 with your rental income on Schedule E.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you! Just wanted some some clarity, I'll put everything under schedule E.

Carl
Level 15

The property manager "SHOULD" have put the amount in box 1. Had they done that, then a SCH C would not have been created. So contact your property manager and inform them of their error so they don't make the same screw-up next year. I would suggest you contact them in writing so that if they do screw it up next year you can "INSIST" they issue you a correct 1099-MISC and if they refuse, you report them to the IRS.

Now there's no need really for them to issue a corrected 1099-MISC for 2019. But if the IRS "calls you" out on it, you'll just have to answer with an explanation which, while a hassle for you, shouldn't be a problem.

For your 2019 taxes just "pretend" you didn't receive a 1099-MISC at all and enter the income "as" rental income in the SCH E section of the program.

You will also need to delete the SCH C that the program created. To do that, work through the Business Income/Expenses section and when asked if you want to enter a businss select YES. THen you'll see a businses listed there. Click the delete button next to it, and then you "MUST" continue working through until you come to a screen with a DONE button on it, and actually click the DONE button. Your deletion does not "stick" until you physically click a DONE button.

You are a life saver on this forum Carl!  Thanks, I will follow this advice because when I try to delete the Sch C the program gets angry and insists I do one

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies