Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2022 bugs with RSUs [solved]

I sold RSUs last year. Imported the 1099 forms from my broker, which provided correct cost basis information.

First problem: Checking "Yes, this is stock that was acquired through an employee stock plan" causes TurboTax to ask for many details that are already in the 1099-B and it then tries to compute the cost basis itself, but it is off by a few cents for each transaction ($0.48 for one, -$0.20 for another, -$0.18 for another ...), resulting in different totals than shown in the brokerage statement. Fixed by finding a forum post that recommended to just not do that, and instead check "No, this is not employee stock."

Second problem: During Smart Check, TurboTax complains about the "Date Vested" for each transaction (25(c) on Employee Stock Transaction Worksheet) . These are straight from the 1099-B import, I verified they're correct.  It may be the same error reported for previous versions of TurboTax: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/rsu-vesting-date-erro...

although I've been using TT for years and never ran into this problem before. I was able solve this by just deleting those worksheets.

While I'm here reporting bugs: TurboTax also caused 2 errors in SmartCheck because the W-2 forms (imported from ADP) had codes for RSU and WAPFL (Washington state paid family leave tax). Easily fixed by going to the forms and selecting "Other (not in list)" from the dropdown for these codes TT didn't recognize, but seriously, you don't recognize a state-wide tax code?

I don't need a response; as noted above, I already worked around these problems.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies