Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT needs an entry for the holding Period for SPDR GOLD SHARES ETF. The term says “undetermined” on my 1099-B. Entering “No Entry” gets rejected by TT. What should I do?

Turbotax is preventing the filing process - It needs an entry for the holding Period for SPDR GOLD SHARES ETF. The term says “undetermined” on my 1099-B. Entering “No Entry” in TT results in an error and TT is not letting me file. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

TT needs an entry for the holding Period for SPDR GOLD SHARES ETF. The term says “undetermined” on my 1099-B. Entering “No Entry” gets rejected by TT. What should I do?

when did you buy into this fund?

That is the Acquisition Date.

the dates will determine whether it is Long Term or Short Term.

@fanfare thanks for your comment. That is the problem! My form shows “N/A” on the acquisition date:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://imgur.com/a/k1XUqtJ">https://imgur.com/a/k1XUqtJ</a>

I found some posts here that say “No Entry” should be the selection, and this worked last year for the 2017 Tax Year, but apparently this year this blocks TT from e-filing.

Any ideas?

the idea is that you will supply the missing info from your own records.

Not sure what you mean by my own records. The only records I have is the 1099-B form, in which the aquisition date says “N/A” (see screenshot link above). Are you referring to some other document?

when did you buy into this fund?

does your 1099-B show "cost or other basis" amount ? if not, that will have to come from your own records also.

The proceeds you're describing could be fund expenses that required a return of principal payment.  Look at your brokerage 1099 statement for another set of entries which have the same amounts except with negative values and with a description which says something like "investment expense".  In this case my 1099 form includes the following footnote: "There are cases where the proceeds are used to pay expenses and there is no corresponding distribution.".  In prior years these expense should have then offset the gain, but for 2018, as I understand it, Trust Expenses are miscellaneous itemized deductions  which are not deductible by individuals.  On my 1099 each proceeds entry includes an additional item called "Cost Basis Factor" and is a small decimal fraction.   The full text of the footnote describing the proceeds in my case says:  

This transaction represents the sale of assets from a Widely Held Fixed Investment Trust (WHFIT). The cost basis allocation factor is the value of the assets sold divided by the total net asset value of the trust. If you know your cost of the assets sold, use that to determine your gain/loss. Otherwise, determine your cost basis by multiplying your adjusted cost basis by the cost basis allocation factor. For example, if your adjusted basis is $1,000 and the cost basis allocation factor is 0.005 your cost basis allocated to that sale is $1,000 * 0.005 or $5. If there are subsequent sales of trust assets, your adjusted cost basis for the next sale is $995. Sales are reported based on when and for how much the trust sold the asset. This may differ both in timing and amount from what is distributed. There are cases where the proceeds are used to pay expenses and there is no corresponding distribution. For more information refer to regulations section 1.671-5.

The later regulation that is references is an IRS publication.  Gads!  What a hopelessly jumbled mess our tax system has become.

also consult the following publication
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.spdrgoldshares.com/media/GLD/file/SPDR-Gold-Trust-Tax-Information-2016.pdf">https://www....>

The following information is being provided to assist Shareholders of the SPDR®  Gold Trust with reporting of their taxable income and expenses for the period January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018, pursuant to Treasury Regulation Section 1.671-5. Under this regulation, the SPDR®  Gold Trust is considered a "non-mortgage widely held fixed investment trust."
AlexZhu

That is very useful. thanks for the explanation and links.

From the tax perspective, TT imports the main GOLD ETF record and also multiple lines for Principal Payments with this small fraction value and sets it as "unknown term basis not reported to IRS". My guess, that TT does everything right, but still it requires me to review something. And I do not understand what might be missing there.

Yeah, this is ridiculously undocumentable.

RoK2

Hi,

I am having a similar issue where I just bought the GLD ETF (2020) but did not sell them. I do see the individual line and a set of lines in fees with negative amounts. 

How were you able to finally go past the "Need Review" stage ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies