turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had rented my house out the last few years. The last renters totally trashed it and I had to fix house before selling it. Are these expenses deductible on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I had rented my house out the last few years. The last renters totally trashed it and I had to fix house before selling it. Are these expenses deductible on my taxes?

The capital expenses to improve the property for sale can be added to the cost basis of the rental house which will reduce gain at the time of sale.  Any expenses paid that are necessary to sell the house will be selling expenses and also will be used to reduce the taxable gain at the time of sale.

Any expenses that are paid for the rental while it was available and or listed for rent (even during the time you trying to sell at the same time) can be expensed on the rental activity. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

The capital expenses to improve the property for sale can be added to the cost basis of the rental house which will reduce gain at the time of sale.  Any expenses paid that are necessary to sell the house will be selling expenses and also will be used to reduce the taxable gain at the time of sale.

Any expenses that are paid for the rental while it was available and or listed for rent (even during the time you trying to sell at the same time) can be expensed on the rental activity. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies