turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099b box 1f shows a $5 "Accrued Market Discount". Tried entering n forms & step-by-step, the answer opposite from the amount of gain/loss shown on the broker's 1099b.??

Did I miss a check box or something? Need help on this pesky $5.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TaxLady

1099b box 1f shows a $5 "Accrued Market Discount". Tried entering n forms & step-by-step, the answer opposite from the amount of gain/loss shown on the broker's 1099b.??

Market discount is the difference between what you paid for a bond, and the maturity redemption price.  If you bought a $1000 bond for $950, your market discount is $50.  This discount must be included in your income, as interest, either over the period you own the bond, or when it is sold.  In box 1f your broker is reporting the accrued amount of discount over the time you held the bond. TT will show it as interest income on Sch B (look and see if it's on that form), and then subtract the same amount from your gain on the sale, since it's already been reported elsewhere.  Hope this helps.

Thanks TaxLady.  That makes sense and TT is doing that for my Federal return.  However, when TT prepares my NJ state return (based on information in the Federal return), the accrued market discount is not being included in the "Taxable Interest Income"line and the accrued market discount is still being subtracted from my Schedule B gain on sale line. So, it seems like I'm under-reporting taxable income for my NJ state return.  It seems like this is a TT error!

Thanks,
Robert
TaxLady

I think you're right.  It sounds like TT is not carrying the Interest properly to the state.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies