Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Standard deduction and rental income

Having trouble getting my head around this.

Renting out a single family home in California.

I read about the 27.5 year depreciation aspect and plan to utilize it.

The last few years I have not had enough income to warrant filing a return.

The gross from the rental, after the property taxes and the depreciation, would not warrant enough to file if I can still use the Standard Deduction.

But is this double dipping using the standard deduction and rental income reduction?

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advanced.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

@studiosheep wrote:

What am I missing here?

What you are "missing" is simply that your gross rental income is the total of rent payments from your tenant (or property manager) to you without any reduction for property taxes, depreciation, or other rental expenses.

Do not deduct any rental expenses you might have for the purposes of determining whether or not you are required to file a return.

Yes you still get the Standard Deduction from your total income, even if you are reporting a net income or loss after expenses from the rental.  I would still fill out a return and see how it comes out .  

You didn't mention this, but be sure you are not deducting any mortgage principal from the rental income.  Taxable rental income is not the same as cash flow.

Carl
Level 15

I read about the 27.5 year depreciation aspect and plan to utilize it.

Understand that depreciation is not a choice. You are required by law to depreciate real estate that is used for the production of income.

The last few years I have not had enough income to warrant filing a return.

Again, I get the impression you believe you have a choice here. You don't. When it comes to rental property, any income received from any source for any reason concerning rental property, is rental income and is reported as such.

It is not common for long term residential rental real estate to show a taxable profit "on paper" at tax filing time. It's more common to show a loss for each and every year with long term residential rental property. But that's "on paper". You may (or may not) still have an actual cash flow.

Typically, when you add up the deductible rental expenses of mortgage interest, property taxes, property insurance and throw in the depreciation you're required to take, those four items alone will usually exceed your total rental income for the year. Add to that the other allowable rental expenses (repairs, maintenance, etc.) and you're practically guaranteed to show a loss "on paper" at tax filing time. That does not negate your requirement to report it on your tax return through.

A few more clarifications:

- The depreciation you are required to take by law is not a permanent deduction. When you sell the property in the future, all depreciation is recaptured in the tax year you sell it, and you pay taxes on that recaptured depreciation. If you don't depreciate the property, then you are still required to recapture and pay taxes on the depreciation you "should" have taken. So you can't win on that front. Two things about depreciation recapture;

a) Recaptured depreciation is added to your AGI for the tax year.

b) Recaptured depreciation has the potential to bump your AGI into the next higher tax bracket. Weather it actually does or not, depends on the numbers.

- Your entire mortgage payment on the property is not a deductible expense. Only the interest you pay on that mortgage is deductible. But generally, the rest of the mortgage payment is "offset" by the depreciation you're required to take. So that doesn't come back to bite you (potentially) until the tax year you sell the property and recapture that depreciation.

- I'm kinda wondering about your statement, "The last few years I have not had enough income to warrant filing a return." and it makes me wonder if you've been renting this property "the last few years" and not reporting the income. If so, that's a problem for you that needs to be fixed; especially if your state taxes personal income.  If I recall correctly (and I may not) renters are given a credit in CA on their state return based on the amount of rent they pay. So if you have renters claiming the credit they are entitled to, and you're not reporting the income on your tax return, you can expect that to raise eyebrows with the state at some point in time, if it hasn't already.

see a tax pro. depending on the gross rental income you may have had a filing requirement. even if you didn't, filing would be advisable to report the rental activity and depreciation.  when you sell the depreciation - the larger of what you took or what you should have taken will figure into any taxes that result because of the sale. 

What a terrific amount of information, thank you. 

And yes, I do plan to enlist a professional before 2023, but wish to get an idea of what to expect.

My apologies for my follow up questions and not understanding everything, English is not my primary language.

The Standard deduction allows people with a low yearly income to not have to submit a tax return, correct?

If so and one is able to reduce the taxable rent received as originally described, along with taking the standard deduction and remain under the taxable threshold, then why would one be obligated to submit a return?  I am guessing that there are some other rules at play when involving rental income?

As Carl pointed out in this regard “…That does not negate your requirement to report it on your tax return through.”

Is it possible that  "reporting it on your tax return" can mean keeping track of the figures if called upon at a later date, but not submitting it, as is the case in some countries.  

Again my apologies for the lack of English prowess.

Any additional info or clarification would be appreciated.

Cheers

You might want to read the article at the link below.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-return/does-everyone-need-to-file-an-income-tax-return/...

For the purposes of determining whether or not you need to file a return, you do not reduce your gross rent received by your rental deductions. 

For example, if your gross rental income is $12,000/year and your rental deductions (e.g., property taxes, depreciation, etc.) total $13,000, you have a net rental loss of $1,000, but you would still use $12,000 (plus other income) to determine whether you are required to file a return.

Have you been filing California state returns?

Carl
Level 15

The Standard deduction allows people with a low yearly income to not have to submit a tax return, correct?

As pointed out by others in this thread, that's not always true. Having income below the standard deduction is only a single criteria of many. It can depend on other things such as source of that income, weather you qualify as a dependent or not, one's filing status, what credits if any, you may qualify for regardless of income, etc.

Additionally, even if one's income is below the standard deduction, if taxes were withheld from one's pay they may want to file a tax return to get those withheld taxes refunded to them.

Also, if your income "BEFORE" deductions is over the standard deduction, then a tax return would be required. But again, the "standard deduction" is not the only factor here.

@Carl wrote:

....if your income "BEFORE" deductions is over the standard deduction, then a tax return would be required.

This has been pointed out several times in this thread already and I am still not certain it is understood by @studiosheep.

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

I now see where my misunderstanding took place.  It was the:

"Consider your gross income thresholds" that I had missed/misunderstood.

I was hung up on the net thresholds after reductions to determine status.

Considering that it appears rather straight forward now, do you think that using Turbo Tax for my filing is sufficient, or would you recommend hiring a professional to go over it?  Especially this first time of me doing this type of landlord venture.

Carl
Level 15

Especially this first time of me doing this type of landlord venture.

Actually, it's not a bad idea to do both your first year. That's what I did my first year using TurboTax back in 2003 to complete my 2002 tax return with.

Paid a CPA to complete my tax return with the understanding that I would mail it to the IRS myself - no e-filing.  Once done I paid the CPA and bought the tax return home. Then fired up TurboTax and worked it through using the paper return prepared by the CPA as my guide and to get my numbers from.  Learned several things by doing this.

1) There were a number of deductible expenses not claimed on the CPA return that I didn't know at the time, I could claim. I don't blame the CPA, as they can only work with the information I provide them.  CPA prepared return was getting me a $2K refund. My TurboTax prepared return was getting me a $4k tax return. Well, $1 less, so practically double.

2) I learned a lot about "how taxes and the tax law work" by asking questions in these forums as they arose.

Since I'm not exactly certain this is your first year dealing with rental property on a tax return yourself, I'll start you off with some basics. Understand this is "VERY" basic. But it's a starting point.

Rental Property Dates & Numbers That Matter.

Date of Conversion - If this was your primary residence or 2nd home before, then this date is the day AFTER you moved out, or the date you decided to lease the property – whichever is later.
In Service Date - This is the date a renter "could" have moved in. Usually, this date is the day you put the FOR RENT sign in the front yard.
Number of days Rented - the day count for this starts from the first day a renter was contracted to move in, and/or "could" have moved in. That would be your "in service" date or after if you were asked for that. Vacant periods between renters do not count for actual days rented. Please see IRS Publication927 page 17 at https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf#en_US_2020_publink1000219175 Read the “Example” in the third column.
Days of Personal Use - This number will be a big fat ZERO. Read the screen. It's asking for the number of days you lived in the property AFTER you converted it to a rental. I seriously doubt (though it is possible) that you lived in the house (or space, if renting a part of your home) as your primary residence, 2nd home, or any other personal use reasons after you converted it to a rental.
Business Use Percentage. 100%. I'll put that in words so there's no doubt I didn't make a typo here. One Hundred Percent. After you converted this property or space to rental use, it was one hundred percent business use. What you used it for prior to the date of conversion doesn't count.

RENTAL PROPERTY ASSETS, MAINTENANCE/CLEANING/REPAIRS DEFINED

Property Improvement.

Property improvements are expenses you incur that Improve, restore, or otherwise “better” the property. Basically, they retain or add value to the property.

Betterments:
Expenses that may result in a betterment to your property include expenses for fixing a pre-existing defect or condition, enlarging or expanding your property, or increasing the capacity, strength, or quality of your property. An example of a pre-existing condition or defect in this context would be something such as foundation repair (slab jacking) or some other, hidden and costly, anomaly.
Restoration:
Expenses that may be for restoration include expenses for replacing a substantial structural part of your property, repairing damage to your property after you properly adjusted the basis of your property as a result of a casualty loss, or rebuilding your property to a like-new condition.
Adaptation:
Expenses that may be for adaptation include expenses for altering your property to a use that isn’t consistent with the intended ordinary use of your property when you began renting the property. Adding a wheelchair ramp would be an example.

Expenses for these types of costs are entered in the Assets/Depreciation section and depreciated over time. Property improvements can be done at any time after your initial purchase of the property. It does not matter if it was your residence or a rental at the time of the improvement. It still adds value to the property.

To be classified as a property improvement, two criteria need to be met:

1) The improvement must become "a material part of" the property. For example, remodeling the bathroom, new cabinets or appliances in the kitchen. New carpet. Replacing that old Central Air unit.

2) The improvement must retain or add "real" value to the property. In other words, when the property is appraised by a qualified, certified, licensed property appraiser, he will appraise it at a higher value, than he would have without the improvements.

There are rules that allow you to just flat-out expense and deduct some property improvements instead of capitalizing and depreciating them, if the total cost of the improvement was less than $2,500. It’s referred to as “safe harbor di-minimis” But depending on the specific situation, this may or may not be beneficial. Just be aware that not every property improvement that cost less than $2,500 qualifies for this. If this interest you, the rules can get complex. So a good place to start reading is on the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tangible-property-final-regulations. The stuff on di-minimis starts about one page down.

Cleaning & Maintenance

Those expenses incurred to maintain the rental property and its assets in the usable condition the property and/or asset was designed and intended for. Routine cleaning and maintenance expenses are only deductible if they are incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Cleaning and maintenance expenses incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for the very first time are not deductible.

Repair

Those expenses incurred to return the property or its assets to the same usable condition they were in, prior to the event that caused the property or asset to be unusable. Repair expenses incurred are only deductible if incurred while the property is classified as a rental. Repair costs incurred in the process of preparing the property for rent for the very first time are not deductible.

Additional clarifications: Painting a room does not qualify as a property improvement. While the paint does become “a material part of” the property, from the perspective of a property appraiser, it doesn’t add “real value” to the property.

However, when you do something like convert the garage into a 3rd bedroom for example, making a 2-bedroom house into a 3-bedroom house adds “real value”. Of course, when you convert the garage to a bedroom, you’re going to paint it. But you will include the cost of painting as a part of the property improvement – not an expense separate from it.

Carl, you are very considerate to take the time in explaining in such detail.

I will follow your advice.

A many thanks to you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies