Solved: Should I owe CO state tax on CO rental income (I am a CA resident) if my deductible expenses are greater than the income, so no net income?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I owe CO state tax on CO rental income (I am a CA resident) if my deductible expenses are greater than the income, so no net income?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Employee Tax Expert

Should I owe CO state tax on CO rental income (I am a CA resident) if my deductible expenses are greater than the income, so no net income?

No, you won't owe CO tax if you have a rental loss.  You have no net income for Colorado, so there will be no tax.  Even though this is the case, however, you may still choose to file a Colorado return.  This may be the case, for example, if you claimed positive rental income in a prior year to Colorado.  But, without any net income, you are not required to file a Colorado return, and you won't owe tax to Colorado.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

No, you won't owe CO tax if you have a rental loss.  You have no net income for Colorado, so there will be no tax.  Even though this is the case, however, you may still choose to file a Colorado return.  This may be the case, for example, if you claimed positive rental income in a prior year to Colorado.  But, without any net income, you are not required to file a Colorado return, and you won't owe tax to Colorado.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

So glad someone else had the same question! 
As an extension - when I do the calculations manually, I come up with a $-92 tax.  How does that work with taxes?

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings