turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bill-s1

Should I owe CO state tax on CO rental income (I am a CA resident) if my deductible expenses are greater than the income, so no net income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Should I owe CO state tax on CO rental income (I am a CA resident) if my deductible expenses are greater than the income, so no net income?

No, you won't owe CO tax if you have a rental loss.  You have no net income for Colorado, so there will be no tax.  Even though this is the case, however, you may still choose to file a Colorado return.  This may be the case, for example, if you claimed positive rental income in a prior year to Colorado.  But, without any net income, you are not required to file a Colorado return, and you won't owe tax to Colorado.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No, you won't owe CO tax if you have a rental loss.  You have no net income for Colorado, so there will be no tax.  Even though this is the case, however, you may still choose to file a Colorado return.  This may be the case, for example, if you claimed positive rental income in a prior year to Colorado.  But, without any net income, you are not required to file a Colorado return, and you won't owe tax to Colorado.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ckjacroux

So glad someone else had the same question! 
As an extension - when I do the calculations manually, I come up with a $-92 tax.  How does that work with taxes?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies