Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ajallora

Should a full year's depreciation be on my return for a rental property sold mid year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Should a full year's depreciation be on my return for a rental property sold mid year?

No you would claim depreciation only for the number of months you owned the property.  Also, a mid-month convention is used for all residential rental property. Under this convention, you treat all property placed in service, or disposed of, during any month as placed in service, or disposed of, at the mid-point of that month.  TurboTax will automatically use the mid-month convention.

I have the same issue but Turbo Tax is showing a full year depreciation.  How do I correct this?
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Have you entered the sale of the rental property in the program yet?

Yes and I have finally figured out how to enter the information to get the correct depreciation amount.  I do thank you for responding.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

You're welcome. Thanks for using TurboTax!
d2017x

Turbo Tax is using the HY for my rental appliance depreciation instead of the mid-month.  How do I get it to use the mid month?

@d2017x   Half Year is correct for appliances.  Only the building itself, improvements to the building, and land improvements would use mid-month.

Tenant vacated Jan 21st 2020, sold unit March 31st 2020, do i depreciate 21 days or 3 months?

Can I chose to depreciate for the time occupied by the tenant in 2020, i.e. 21 days?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies