turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SunnyDays

I'm "self-employed." I live in City-A. My work is in City-B 100 miles away, so I rent a room in City-B usually 10 days/month. Can I deduct the room rent in City-B?

I'm a self-employed lawyer. I live in City-A, but most of my work is in City-B. So, I rent a room in a house in City-B for when I am there for work. I rent the room on a monthly basis, but am only there for work about 10 days/mo. If it wasn't for my self-employment work in City-B, I would not rent the room there at all. 

Can I deduct the monthly rent I pay for the room in City-B where I do my self-employment work? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm "self-employed." I live in City-A. My work is in City-B 100 miles away, so I rent a room in City-B usually 10 days/month. Can I deduct the room rent in City-B?

I agree that pro-rated rent, M&IE per diem, and mileage may be applied as Travel deductions on your Schedule C.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf</a> . Based on situation described, City B is your 'Tax Home'. Discussion/examples elucidate at reference. Living expenses at your tax home are Not deductible.
SunnyDays

Rainman: Thanks. However, in City-A, I work as an employee at a full-time job. My self-employment work in City-B is only about 20% of my monthly work time. Any research suggestions on this?

" in City-A, I work as an employee at a full-time job"; "I'm a self-employed lawyer" ; "most of my work is in City-B". Sorry, I'm unable to follow your .scenario. I reiterate: Pub 463; Tax Home; Actual, proportionate expenses. Retainer fees for a room are not a normal deduction; only expenses during work periods.
SunnyDays

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Here's the situation:

* City-A: I work 40 hrs/week as an EMPLOYEE. (4 10-hour days)
* City-B (100mi from City-A): I work about ~20% of the month as a SELF-EMPLOYED lawyer, 3 days/week.

I am reading that pub and I think it'll answer my question! I think that my tax home is indeed City-A since I do 80% of my total monthly work there. So, I think I can deduct at least the prorated rent for the days I'm in City-B traveling for the self-employment work, just as I would a hotel if I went there for a couple days. Would appreciate knowing whether you concur given the added details.

I agree that pro-rated rent, M&IE per diem, and mileage may be applied as Travel deductions on your Schedule C.

SunnyDays

Rainman, thanks for the insight and reference to the pub.
ee-ea
Level 15

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies