Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sale of a rental property

Had trouble last year with this. I sold a rental that I've had for 5 years in 2023. When I go to TT and get to "Do any of these situations apply..." I clicked SOLD or disposed of this property. When I do it disappears from the screen and I can't find it to do anything. I deleted the return and reloaded it. Got to the same spot and clicked NONE OF THE ABOVE and moved on. Got to WAS THIS PROPERTY RENTED ALL OF 2023 ( It was sold the first of February so we did not rent it but fixed it up) so did NO, not rented all year. Dialog comes up days rented? or click box I DID NOT RENT OR ATTEMPT TO RENT, THIS PROPERTY AT ALL IN 2023. When I clicked that a 2nd return it disappeared like clicking the SOLD BUTTON? I got through it last year eventually with all your help but I can't remember. I don't want to keep deleting returns and re-entering all the data, yikes. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Mike

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

sale of a rental property

To keep the rental in the Sch E section simply enter 1 day of rental use then follow the screens later in the interview when you sell off all the assets.   

OR  let the Sch E disappear and report the sale  in the SALE OF BUSINESS ASSETS section  later in the interview tree.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies