nholdway1

Rental property depreciation: What asset category for a total electrical rewiring?

If I did a total electrical rewiring, including new fuse panel and some light fixtures, on my rental property, I understand that's an improvement that I must depreciate. But is the asset category for depreciation "Residential real estate"? Not "Appliances, carpet or furniture"? There's such a difference in depreciation time between the two.

Why is TurboTax not more helpful in determining this even through its GuideMe feature in the higher-cost version of TurboTax addressing rental properties?

AnnetteB

Because the electrical wiring and panel are components of the rental property itself, the proper depreciation category to use is Residential Real Estate

I agree that there needs to be additional information provided within TurboTax to help users determine the correct category to use.  Until that time comes, there is a useful table in the IRS Publication 527 Rental Real Estate that you can use for reference.  It is located on page 9 of the document, Table 2-1.

AnnetteB