You can enter the missing part as a separate list entry using the drop-down selection for More Than One State. IMHO, TurboTax should have been programmed to automatically do that calculation and offer it up for your approval during review.
Thanks for the reply! Reporting my Edward Jones (EJ) info on TurboTax (TT) is ALWAYS the bane of my tax season.
To clarify the issue:
- EJ consolidated tax form 1098 Box 11 shows value (Z)
- EJ "Potential State Tax Exclusions from Municipal and US Territory Obligations," shows two states (State 1 and State 2) with different exclusion amounts (X, Y respectively)
- Sum of X+Y does not equal Z, which TT rejects as an error and will not let your proceed
- Entered exclusion amount X for State 1
- Entered exclusion amount (Z-X) for State 2 (Multiple States)
- TT accepts change
I'm using a CPA next year.
Thanks again for the help!