Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ar1969

Where do I enter refinance information for a rental property?

I rent out an apartment in my primary home. TurboTax help has an article saying enter it in the rentals section but I can't figure out where. On "What additional expenses and assets did you have" it doesn't mention refinancing. It's mentioned on the asset entry screen but adding my home as an asset doesn't ask any questions about refinancing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Refinancing fees for a rental property are evenly deducted over the life of the loan. To do this in TurboTax:

1. Select Start/Revisit next to Federal > Wages & Income > Rentals, Royalties, and Farm > Rental Properties and Royalties (Sch E)
  2. Select Edit next to your property
  3. Select Add expense or asset
  4. Select Improvements, furnishings, and other assets and click Start
  5. select Add an asset
  6. Select Intangibles, Other property
  7. Select Amortizable intangibles
  8. Enter Refinancing Fees as the description and the rest of the information. Select Code 163 and the length of the mortgage as the useful life of the asset
  9. TurboTax will automatically deduct these over the life of the loan

Only put in the fees that are applicable to the rental portion of the property. If you only rent half the space, only enter half the expenses.

Carl
Level 15

When working through the rental expenses section, after you enter your expenses you are asked for mortgage interest. After you enter the mortgage interest from your 1098, and any other interest paid that was not included on the 1098, you are presented with a screen that asks "did you refinance?".  Select YES, then click Continue. The program will prompt you for your refi information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies