turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paulbdmo

Turbotax wants the Cost or Adjusted Basis on one investment on my account, however the company states that this should not be reported to IRS? How can I manage this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Turbotax wants the Cost or Adjusted Basis on one investment on my account, however the company states that this should not be reported to IRS? How can I manage this?

what reason does the company give for saying it shouldn't be reported. without knowing more we can't give you an answer. 

Carl
Level 15

I'm just curious. How can the IRS possibly know if you have a taxable gain or potentially deductible loss on the investment, if they don't know how much you originally paid for it? I would think that if the IRS does not know what you paid for it, then the assumption would be you paid nothing for it. That would make the value of the investment 100% taxable gain.

"basis not reported to IRS " means the broker does not know the basis to report it.

It doesn't mean that you also don't report your basis.

You are required to report the basis, i.e. from your own records.

The sales category remains B or E.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies