Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of Rental Property - Depreciated In Value

In June 2005 I purchased a condo for $378,200. I lived in the condo for a couple years (primary residence) before moving abroad and turning it into a rental property. In April 2020 I sold this rental property for $300,000. I think I entered all of the information correctly, but now my taxes say I owe $30,000 federal and $7500 state taxes. I LOST money on the sale of this rental property (note, passive losses were carried over from previous years - so, I think that’s already captured as it says, “The depreciation allowable for this property after May 6, 1997 is $173,221 ($150,708 for AMT)” - no clue what this means) -

How do I owe taxes on the sale of this rental property when the money did not go in my pocket (net) and the gross amount of $300,000 sales price is on the sales W-9 form. What am I doing wrong that I’m paying taxes on a rental property sale that depreciated in value for the last 15 years where I lost money each year (captured in all historical tax returns using Turbo Tax as 'passive' loss) and now owe tens of thousands of dollars on money I never made and only lost??

I am baffled how this can be and looking for any mistake because this does not seem correct - what am I doing wrong?  Thank you. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Carl
Level 15

When you sell business property (which is what rental property is) your gain/loss is determined "roughly" like this:

First, your cost basis is determined by taking what you paid for the property, plus what you paid for any property improvements, then subtracting all the depreciation you took or were required to take.

That adjusted cost basis figure is used against your sales price to determine if you sold at a gain or a loss.  Looks to me like you sold at a gain. Though $30K in taxes does seem a bit high, unless there's other income outside of rental income here, you've not made us aware of.

Below is the guidance for reporting the sale of rental property. One thing that can skew things quite dramatically is if you have multiple assets listed in the Sale of Property/Depreciation section, and you didn't follow the guidance to either show a gain on all assets if sold at a gain, or a loss on all assets if sold at a loss.

In your case, there's no doubt you sold at a gain. So it's important that you show a gain on every single asset.

Reporting the Sale of Rental Property

If you qualify for the "lived in 2 of last 5 years" capital gains exclusion, then when prompted you WILL indicate that this sale DOES INCLUDE the sale of your main home. For AD MIL personnel who don't qualify because of PCS orders, select this option anyway, because you "MIGHT" qualify for at last a partial exclusion.

Start working through Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) "AS IF" you did not sell the property. One of the screens near the start will have a selection on it for "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in  2020". Select it. After you select the "I sold or otherwise disposed of this property in 2020" you continue working it through "as if" you still own it. When you come to the summary screen you will enter all of your rental income and expenses, even if it's zero. Then you MUST work through the "Sale of Property/Depreciation" section. You must work through each individual asset one at a time to report its disposition (in your case, all your rental assets were sold).

Understand that if more than the property itself is listed in your assets list, then you need to allocate your sales price across all of your assets.  You will only allocate the structure sales price; you will NOT allocate the land sales price, since the land is not a depreciable asset.  Then if you sold this rental at a gain, you must show a gain on all assets, even if that gain is $1 on some assets. Likewise, if you sold at a loss then you must show a loss on all assets, even if that loss is $1 on some assets.

Basically, when working through an asset you select the option for "I stopped using this asset in 2020" and go from there. Note that you MUST do this for EACH AND EVERY asset listed.

When you finish working through everything listed in the assets section, if you ever at any time you owned this rental you claimed vehicle expenses, then you must also work through the vehicle section and show the disposition of the vehicle. Most likely, your vehicle disposition will be "removed for personal use", as I seriously doubt you sold your vehicle as a part of this rental sale.

@Stockholm Sweden wrote:

In June 2005 I purchased a condo for $378,200.

In April 2020 I sold this rental property for $300,000.

“The depreciation allowable for this property after May 6, 1997 is $173,221 ($150,708 for AMT)” - no clue what this means) -

You claimed $173,221 of tax deductions for depreciation.  That lowers your "Basis" (similar to cost).

That means for calculating the sale, your Basis ('cost') is $204,979 ($378,200 minus $173,221).  That gives you a taxable "gain" of $95,021 (adjusted for any selling costs that you did not mention)

So yes, adding $95,021 of income to your tax return can result in a lot of tax.

Carl
Level 15

So yes, adding $95,021 of income to your tax return can result in a lot of tax.

In fact, quite a lot, if that extra $95K pushes your AGI into the next higher tax bracket.

Thanks, Carl - sincerely appreciate educating me how this works - ugh.  And the hits continue in 2021 from 2020.  Now, instead of covid it's a heavy tax bill.  Ugh. 

Thank you so very much to all that responded - talk about an eye opener, gees. This is not what I expected after selling a rental property at a signficant loss. However, after everyone explained I guess it makes sense - depreciation subtracted from total original paid purchase and selling price splitting the difference as taxes owed.

Note, taxes now owed are $16K vice $30K - had forgotten that I lived in the condo from 2011-2013 after returning from abroad and then July 2013 to present/time of sale in 2020 it was a complete rental (ergo, last time I resided in the condo was July 2013).

After amending the date it changed the amount of taxes owed. Rest assured, it still hurts - a lot!!!   And lesson learned the hard way, never buy property in USA again. Thank you.

@Stockholm Sweden wrote:

Note, taxes now owed are $16K vice $30K - had forgotten that I lived in the condo from 2011-2013 after returning from abroad and then July 2013 to present/time of sale in 2020 it was a complete rental (ergo, last time I resided in the condo was July 2013).

After amending the date it changed the amount of taxes owed. 

Wait, that seems wrong.  Were you out of the country due to military assignments?  If not, the time you lived there has NO effect on the results because you did not live there 2-out-of-the-last-5 years.  Where are you entering these dates?  You may be entering something wrong.

If you WERE out of the house due to military assignments, that is treated completely differently, so let us know if that applies.

Hi, Amelies Uncle:

Not, I am not military; however, do work for the federal government on official gov’t orders overseas - not only the military goes overseas for official government business. Not sure if military tax rules are the same as federal government civilian employee tax rules.

No where in any of the options did Turbo Tax ask me if I was ‘military’ - so, not sure how this applies as I was never given the option to enter my employment status other than under the “Personal” information where “Federal Government” as my employment.

Here’s the entire history.

1. Purchased condo in June 2005 for $378K as a primary residence.

2. 2007 moved out (not primary residence) as my work takes me overseas (State Department) all the time. Rental property and 100% rental from 2007 to 2011.

3. Returned to the condo in 2011 after my overseas assignment once again moved back in as a primary residence.

4. Moved out of the condo again in 2013 for another overseas assignment - once again a full 100% rental unit from 2013 to 2020 when sold at a loss for only $300K.

Originally when question asked, “When did this property become a rental” I put 2007; however, it was an on and off rental with the last time a “full rental” in 2013 to 2020 (when sold).

I amended the date for, “When did this property become a rental” to 2013 from 2007 as that’s the reality because in 2011 - 2013 it was my primary residence before once again going full rental in 2013 to 2020 when sold.

After doing this, my return amount owed decreased. That’s the short version. I have not/not lived in the condo since 2013 and since 2013 it’s been 100% full rental.

I then performed the “Let’s check your taxes for errors” and none were found. I then checked, “Audit risk” and it was all the way to the left in fully “Green” indicating as low audit risk as possible.  

Therefore, I assumed I was doing it correctly as I filed my taxes (federal and state) over the weekend and both federal and state were accepted.

So, if I did something wrong for sure they will find it, correct it, and bill me more or refund - I've made mistakes before and they always find it and send me a bill.

I’m currently on assignment again in Europe - so, my time and/or access to an American tax lawyer does not exist - ergo, using Turbo Tax is the only viable method to file my taxes from abroad.

Thank you for the follow up as this is all confusing to me.  But, the end result is taxes were filed and accepted - if there's more taxes owed IRS and State will send me a bill as they've always done. 

You have a lot of complications and you really should have gone to a tax professional to sort things out.  Going back and forth on a forum where you just give us little bits of information at a time often results in an incorrect tax return.

To clarify, correct and expand my "military" comment, these are the qualifying factors to extend the 2-out-of-5 year rule:

such individual or such individual’s spouse is serving on qualified official extended duty

(i) as a member of the uniformed services,

Hi, Amelies Uncle:

Yes, I fall into one of the three categories below (not military, though). And yes, I do have complications with the sale of this rental property - this is what happens when one moves every 1-2 years with their work - things always get complicated.  :(

As stated, I currently live/work in Europe on assignment - access to a "tax professional" wasn't (and isn't) really an option - Hence, reaching out to the Turbo Tax message board to professionals like yourself who have been immensely helpful.

Thank you, sincere appreciate the kind assistance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies