turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 30shrs & 100 shrs of GLV were combined at 10.85/share but brkr left the cost basis empty. When I fill in the cost basis it all appeared as loss. Shld I leave it blank?

Turbo tax keeps making me fill in the cost basis and if I do it shows I lost all capital when actually have a gain $$. Should I just follow the way Charles Schwab filled up the form and ignore the warnings from TurboTax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My 30shrs & 100 shrs of GLV were combined at 10.85/share but brkr left the cost basis empty. When I fill in the cost basis it all appeared as loss. Shld I leave it blank?

If the broker did not have a cost basis on the 1099-B then of course it would have shown a gain ... so if you enter the correct basis you may have a loss.  That is not a bad thing.  You are supposed to enter the missing information. 

the reporting requirements for your broker are not necessarily the reporting requirements for you, the Investor.

You must report according to the requirements of the Investor.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies