turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 Return of Capital, Line 19

The K-1 form in line 19 shows, say $100. The supplemental information says that $60 of the $100 is a return of capital. Do I report $100 in line 19 and use the $60 to reduce my basis in the partnership or do I show the $60 or net $40 on the return? If I show the $60 or $40, where are they to be entered?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

partnership distributions shown on line 19 are generally 100% non-taxable return of capital.  the only time there is a tax implication is when distributions reduce your tax basis below $0  TT doesn't use box 19 (so if you leave it blank nothing will happen).    the question is did the $40 reduce your basis below $0.  if yes, you have a capital gain that you must enter on the form 8949 worksheet.  it would be short term or long term depending on how long you held the investment. 

The return of capital does not bring my cost/basis to zero - it is still a positive number.  Since the note has the return of capital amount, which is less than the amount in the box, do I enter only the return of capital amount on the return as the line 19 amount?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand the k-1 referring to part of the distribution as a return of capital.   It makes no sense.  but then again I can't see the K-1.  you can leave box 19 blank.  as I have said TT doesn't use it for anything (TT does not compute basis) and the box 19 info is not transmitted to the IRS when you submit your return.   

as a matter of fact, a lot of the K-1 input is not used for anything by TT and is not transmitted to the IRS.  this includes address, part I item c; part II items, I1, J, K, L; part III, 18C, 19, and 20 (for box 20 some items may need to be inputted elsewhere.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies