Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I own rental property in another state, can I include the cost of filing a non-resident state tax return in my rental property expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If I own rental property in another state, can I include the cost of filing a non-resident state tax return in my rental property expenses?

Yes. For the Federal portion, you would normally be able to include the up-charge of Premier over Deluxe. However, since the only reason you are buying the extra state is for the rental, you can take the entire charge.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes. For the Federal portion, you would normally be able to include the up-charge of Premier over Deluxe. However, since the only reason you are buying the extra state is for the rental, you can take the entire charge.

Washington, DC requires rental property income to be reported on a D-30 Unincorporated Business Franchise Return.  The minimum tax due on this return is $250.  Can I include the $250 tax as an expense for the DC property?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes. Although the text below applies to small business, it also applies to rental property.

Taxes - You can deduct various federal, state, local, and foreign taxes directly attributable to your trade or business as business expenses.

Tax deduction

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies