turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xavboyd

I wrongfully filed as a dependent and i'm actually independent so i never received a stimulus check. I worked part time, payed rent, and lived alone for 2019. Will i get my stimulus check since i have

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I wrongfully filed as a dependent and i'm actually independent so i never received a stimulus check. I worked part time, payed rent, and lived alone for 2019. Will i get my stimulus check since i have

The stimulus is actually a tax advance on a refundable credit that you get on your 2020 tax return. If you file a 2020 tax return (next year) and you cannot be claimed as a dependent, you will receive the stimulus payment of $1,200.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
xavboyd

i had my tax returns amended a while ago (about 2 months) will i still have to wait until 2020? because it would be ideal for it to come sooner

Carl
Level 15

If you amended your 2019 tax return to remove that you can be claimed as a dependent, not only was it a waste of time unfortunately, but for all we know it could result in you being audited. There were tens of thousands who amended their 2019 return for the primary reason of thinking that would qualify them for the stimulus. It does not. But it's a high probability it will trigger a audit in the not to distant future.

The stimulus is based on your 2020 filing status. The Treasury Department just used the 2019 tax returns as a guide. So it's perfectly possible that those who did not get the stimulus because they were a dependent in 2019, very well may get it in 2020. But I think (personal opinion here) that for those that amended their 2019 returns for the primary reason of getting the stimulus, they can expect an audit down the road. Chances of such as audt are probably very high if you were an undergraduate college student in 2019. It is not common for an undergraduate to meet the requirements to not be claimed as a dependent.

Additionally, another reason amending the 2019 return for this, is because amended returns can not be e-filed. They have to be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS. Amended returns are processed by hand and under normal conditions take 6-12 weeks to process. At this time, the IRS is not operating under normal conditions. Mailed returns as of yet, are not being processed at all by the IRS. They're just sitting in a trailer or warehouse somewhere, and shall remain their until the IRS gets back to a sense of normalcy.  As of this date, there has been no information on when that will happen, or if it will ever happen.

So the bottom line is, amending the 2019 return will not qualify you for the stimulus. If you are an undergraduate college student in 2019, all it really does is significantly increase the chance you will be audited at sometime in the future.

xavboyd

I was never a dependent to begin with. It was my first time filing and I basically just checked the wrong box and as a result missed out on $1200. I'm not an undergraduate, i'm in the work force and i don't make very much money. I fit all the requirements to receive a stimulus check and didn't get one because of an error on my taxes. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies