Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

140uwapo

I get a 1099-Misc from my Property Manager for my rental unit, do I enter it when it asks other income or enter it for the question rental property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I get a 1099-Misc from my Property Manager for my rental unit, do I enter it when it asks other income or enter it for the question rental property?

The form 1099-MISC from your property manager reports rents in box 1. You enter the amount in box 1 as Rent received in the rental property section, and not as other income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

To add to this question, if the property manager charges a fee and deducts it from the total in 1099. Should I enter the fees for the property management company anywhere?

Same question as Jeremy.

Also, my 'new' tenant paid my property management company the rent(for January 2021) at end of December 2020 but I didn't get the final disbursement(after some fees) until 1~2 weeks into January 2021.  My 2020 1099-misc has the gross rent that the 'new' tenant paid to my property management company. 

1. My prop management company got the money in 2020 but I got my money in 2021

2. The money I got was less than what's in Box 1 in my 2020 1099-misc due to management fee and other fees

How should I go about this ?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@trapezewdc Enter the 1099-Misc from the Property Manager exactly as it appears in the Rental Income section. 

The rent that was paid in December is considered 'constructively received' the date it was paid, so include it for 2020.

Enter the expenses the Property Manager deducted from the Gross Rent reported in Box 1 of your 1099-Misc as 'Rental Expenses'. 

Click this link for more info on Rental Expenses

By the way, I also paid below two items for my rental:

1. HO-6 home insurance

2. Rental tax(NOT property tax) by my city

Can they be deducted as expenses ? If so where should I enter them in TurboTax Premier ?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Yes, both are deductible.

Here is where to post them

1. Rental Property
  2. Continue through interview 
  3. Review your (...) Rental summary
  4. Select Expenses
  5. I'll choose what I work on
  6. Enter Common Expenses
    1. Insurance &
    2. Other Taxes 

@trapezewdc

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies