turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation on a short term primary residence converstion

I entered into a short term rent to own agreement on my primary home in June 2020 that will be sold in April 2021. We have received rent and will allocate expenses accordingly given personal use percentage in 2020. Is it necessary to take depreciation for the 6 months in 2020 and the 3 months in 2021 and recapturing in 2021 since the primary residence rent to own conversion was less than one year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  The reason is that the IRS tax law follows 'allowed or allowable' which means 'use it or lose it'.  Essentially, whether you take the deduction or not you will recapture it. For this reason you need to use the depreciation in 2020 and 2021 and utilize the deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

[Content removed by poster]

Carl
Level 15

Disregard my previous post. (I removed it). I misinterpreted the question.

Carl
Level 15

To help clarify why you are required to depreciate, even though you are renting it out for less than one year, take a look at IRS Publication 527 page 6, middle column. Under "Excepted Property" it states that you do not depreciate "Property placed in service and disposed of (or taken out of business use) in the same year." So your situation doesn't meet that requirement. You placed it in service in 2020, and will be selling the property (thus disposing of it) in the next tax year. So you're required to depreciate it.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies