Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hsfard

Can I deduct an investment I made in 2023 and lost it / it was stolen from me?

That investment was from my IRA that I closed and did not roll it a
into another IRA.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If your Traditional IRA lost money you will just have less income to pay tax on when you take it out or convert to a ROTH.  

You used to be able to deduct it but only If this was your ONLY IRA and you closed it AND did NOT take the tax deduction for your contributions.

hsfard

Dear VolvoGirl.

I did not lose value in my IRA. I had 50K IRA last year that was losing money in stock market. I closed my IRA account and I had two months to roll it over into another qualified IRA.

While I was waiting to find another qualified IRA to roll it over to, I invested in a trading company to make some profits. I did make some profits but when I attempted to withdraw my funds to my bank account, I realized the trading company had frozen my account and I could not get a penny out. This was a scam company.So I lost all my money. Now I have got a 1099-R from IRA company that I closed. IRS has got a copy too. When I enter this 50K in turbo tax as normal distribution, it asks me what I did with the money. If I say I rolled it over to another IRA, there are no taxes due. But I didn't roll it over, I lost the entire amount in a scam company. Turbo Tax is showing me I have to pay over $10,000 tax on this distribution. I have no money because I lost it in scam investment. Where in Turbo Tax can I claim my 50K loss for investment to offset the taxes I owe?

Please consult with other Turbo Tax expert and get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Hossein

Sorry all I know is you have to pay tax on the IRA withdrawal.  Someone else will have to reply about the investment losses and scam.  

hsfard

Thanks for your reply. I know I have to pay taxes on the distribution because I didn't roll it over to another IRA.

My question is where in Turbo Tax can I report or deduct 50K I lost in investment (It was stolen from me) >

Thanks,

Hossein

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies