turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgsmed

I rented my house for 6 months of 2017---Do I report property taxes and mortgage interest as 0 on rental and claim 100% of these on my regular deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

I rented my house for 6 months of 2017---Do I report property taxes and mortgage interest as 0 on rental and claim 100% of these on my regular deductions?

Allocate 1/2 of mortgage interest/taxes to each section. 1/2 deducted in the Rental section along with your other rental expenses, and 1/2 under deductions and credits on the personal side.

Note: Be certain to mark the box that you converted your property to rental or vice versa, in the Property Profile section for your rental.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Allocate 1/2 of mortgage interest/taxes to each section. 1/2 deducted in the Rental section along with your other rental expenses, and 1/2 under deductions and credits on the personal side.

Note: Be certain to mark the box that you converted your property to rental or vice versa, in the Property Profile section for your rental.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I bought a new house and moved into that house in March. I continued to make mortgage & interest payments on my (empty) previous house until it sold, in September of that year. Can I deduct mortgage interest on both homes during the months when my house was still on the market? or only on the house I was living in? 

@marcia0453 

You posted this question to an old thread that is not even related to your own question.  It is surprising that it is even being noticed.

You can enter mortgage interest and property taxes paid in 2018 for both your new home and the "old" one on your 2018 tax return.  You just treat it as if you owned a second home--which you did.

You are subject to the SALT limit of $10,000 for the state and local taxes, which include your property taxes paid.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies