turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rvmsg

1099-B is not available for Stock Options

The Company was quired in all-cash deal and converted vested stock options (code NQCP) into cash. They added it to my W2 income and paid taxes. etrade doesn't have any 1099-B as I never exercised the option. Do I need a 1099-B to file taxes or just using a W2 enough?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

"..etrade doesn't have any 1099-B as I never exercised the option."

Not sure it that's exactly the case, or not.  In a regular "same day sale" situation - you exercise the option and simultaneously sell the stock - the broker is not required to provide you with a 1099-B.

Most "same day" sales result in a small loss due to selling commissions and fees.  If you, in fact, suffered that small loss then you certainly can report the sale, telling TurboTax that you didn't get a 1099-B, and get the tax benefit.  But if you didn't have any loss or figure it's not worth the effort to report the small loss, then simply entering the W-2 correctly is all you need to do.

rvmsg

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have any loss as I didn't involve in transactions and the company didn't take any processing fees. As the sale is not in the open market and it's more of a fixed price for share due to the all-cash deal to purchase the company. So company converted vested options * share price = $total, deducted the tax withhold amount, and deposited the remaining amount into my bank account. Probably it is the reason why eTrade never generated any transactions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies