Solved: Question about form K1 line 19 item A and carrying...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ppt
Level 3

Question about form K1 line 19 item A and carrying over losses

Hello -

This is little bit related to the thread that was solved (by @DavidS127 ) earlier --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/re-need-help-with-k1-... (looking at this thread first will give a better context if below description is not clear enough)

I have a K1 form where  item number 19 reports a positive distribution with item code A. I have few questions related to that if someone can help me understand. I am really new to this K1 form and never had it before.

1. I thought I would be paying taxes on that distribution because I got those checks for distributions. Shouldn't I be paying taxes on it? Why I don't see this flow through 1040 income somewhere?

2. Initially, I though that is because either a) in K1, item 2, "net rental real estate income (loss)" is negative  figure lets say -50 (loss) or b) 199A shows "Rental income (loss)" is negative figure lets say -70 (loss) with UBIA also reported. I read somewhere that, I will be applying these loses towards income I got from the partnership (K1, item 19, code A figure ??) and rest will carry over to next year. But, I see that in turbo tax, both losses carried forward to 2020 as it is (-70 and -50) as shown in the section below.

Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 7.56.41 PM.png

Can someone help me understand this more?

Thank you.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Critter
Level 15

1. I thought I would be paying taxes on that distribution because I got those checks for distributions. Shouldn't I be paying taxes on it? Why I don't see this flow through 1040 income somewhere?   It is not income ... it effects your basis in the investment only. 

2. Initially, I though that is because either a) in K1, item 2, "net rental real estate income (loss)" is negative  figure lets say -50 (loss) or b) 199A shows "Rental income (loss)" is negative figure lets say -70 (loss) with UBIA also reported. I read somewhere that, I will be applying these loses towards income I got from the partnership (K1, item 19, code A figure ??) and rest will carry over to next year. But, I see that in turbo tax, both losses carried forward to 2020 as it is (-70 and -50) as shown in the section below.

The unallowed losses are correctly being carried forward since this is a passive activity.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ppt
Level 3

Any help here please?

Critter
Level 15

Critter
Level 15

1. I thought I would be paying taxes on that distribution because I got those checks for distributions. Shouldn't I be paying taxes on it? Why I don't see this flow through 1040 income somewhere?   It is not income ... it effects your basis in the investment only. 

2. Initially, I though that is because either a) in K1, item 2, "net rental real estate income (loss)" is negative  figure lets say -50 (loss) or b) 199A shows "Rental income (loss)" is negative figure lets say -70 (loss) with UBIA also reported. I read somewhere that, I will be applying these loses towards income I got from the partnership (K1, item 19, code A figure ??) and rest will carry over to next year. But, I see that in turbo tax, both losses carried forward to 2020 as it is (-70 and -50) as shown in the section below.

The unallowed losses are correctly being carried forward since this is a passive activity.  

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings