Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about EIN and SSN

I have a rental property which is under my name, I didn't form a LLC. Recently a contractor repaired several issue for the property. I would like to file 1099-NEC, however, I don't want to share my SSN with him.

Based on the research, I should be able to apply for an EIN.

I have a few questions about EIN.

1) Can I use EIN to file 1099-NEC, and at the same time, keep using SSN in the 1099-MISC that property management company sends to me?

2) Which reason should I choose when I apply for an EIN?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

1) Can I use EIN to file 1099-NEC, and at the same time, keep using SSN in the 1099-MISC that property management company sends to me?

Yes. I do the same with my three rentals.

When you apply for the EIN you have to provide an SSN that EIN will be tied to. Only you and the IRS will know what SSN that EIN is tied to, and nobody else needs to know. So you'll be fine.

2) Which reason should I choose when I apply for an EIN?

Start at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

You can select sole proprietorship or single member LLC since both are considered disregarded entities by the IRS.

Also, do not lose this number once you get it, as it will remain tied to your SSN forever basically. Getting another EIN for the same business entity can be problematic at times.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Btw, is there a easy/recommended way to file 1099-NEC ?

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

When you enter your rental income into TurboTax, there is a question asking if you sent or need to send any 1099-NECs.  You can answer Yes and TurboTax will offer a connection to Quick Employer Forms (QEF) which is Intuit's online filing tool for 1099-NEC forms.

@K_K_777 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies