turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Property tax/insurance on rental property sold in 2019

When we moved from the US to the UK, we rented our US house out. We had tenants from February 2016 until April 2019, when our tenants moved out. We then put  the house on the market. We had an offer within a month, but it took nearly 5 months to close, and we didn't try to rent the property during that time. Does that mean I should pro-rate things like the property tax and insurance payments to only include those months that we had tenants? And what do I do about the mortgage interest? Do I pro-rate that too? Or do I include the whole amount on the Form 1098 that I received from the bank?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@MeegsC wrote:

.....it took nearly 5 months to close, and we didn't try to rent the property during that time. Does that mean I should pro-rate things like the property tax and insurance payments to only include those months that we had tenants? 

Yes. During the months in the 2019 tax year that you had tenants, property taxes and mortgage interest would be entered on Schedule E.

If the property was not held out and available for rent during the time it was for sale, and you itemize deductions, then you would enter the mortgage interest and property taxes (subject to limitations), during that time period, on Schedule A. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@MeegsC wrote:

.....it took nearly 5 months to close, and we didn't try to rent the property during that time. Does that mean I should pro-rate things like the property tax and insurance payments to only include those months that we had tenants? 

Yes. During the months in the 2019 tax year that you had tenants, property taxes and mortgage interest would be entered on Schedule E.

If the property was not held out and available for rent during the time it was for sale, and you itemize deductions, then you would enter the mortgage interest and property taxes (subject to limitations), during that time period, on Schedule A. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies